Tuesday 18 November 2014

(One of) My Favourite Author(s) just won the Governor General's Award






Though I try to focus on authors from Windsor - Essex on this blog, I really wanted to bring attention to the latest winner of the Governor General's Award. I was not born and raised in Windsor. That happened in Sarnia, ON, but I have also been "raised" all over Southern Ontario (as well as in Korea for one magical year). For a time I lived in Guelph, ON, which is where I ended up taking my Master's Degree in English Literature. The highlight of that time in my life, beyond the hours and hours of twitching eyes and cramping hands, was a novel writing course I took with Thomas King. I couldn't believe my luck as I had already fallen in love with his writing. Being able to learn from him and get feedback on my writing from this master storyteller has made an impression on me that will never disappear.


This is a somewhat roundabout, subjective way of saying, if you have never read anything by Thomas King you should do so now. While I love his non-fiction, if you experience him in any way, read his fiction. "One Good Story That One" (a collection of short stories) and "Green Grass Running Water" would be at the top of my recommendations.

Sadly I have not had the opportunity to read his winning novel yet. I will be as soon as possible.
Here is the link for the CBC article on this year's Governor General's Award:

http://www.cbc.ca/books/2014/11/the-2014-governor-generals-literary-award-winners.html

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment