Friday 24 January 2014

Phantasmic Drudgery (Mini Story #2) by Patrick Firth

My first encounter with a phantom was at the muddy bank of Grandmother's pond. The wild vegetation that choked its surface was in stark contrast to the shade who stood calf deep in its green depths. It was my Great Uncle, whose life was as mundane as his death. A man who was nothing but audience to the play of others, who ignored adventure and opportunity like it was the holiday correspondence of a distant cousin. A man who trudged to and from work at the same time, and who swallowed the same conservative measure of whiskey in the wasted time before bed every day. That is why, perhaps, I merely tipped my hat to him at his uncanny appearance in the pond. I interrupted his distraught attempt at dialogue by turning towards Grandmother's estate, and the afternoon tea that awaited me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment