Saturday 1 March 2014

Lizard Warning (Mini Story #9) by Patrick Firth

 
It was on the evening when mother and father had gone to see The Rake's Progress and left me in the care of the nanny who was prone to fits when she was surprised that I gained entry to my father's office. This space was the locked stronghold of adult things that only served to excite the curiosity of youth. So, having donned a mask suitable to send the woman into the symptoms of her afflictions, and having placed a wooden spoon between her teeth, I opened those great wooden doors with the spare key I had discovered under the tureen. The books I ignored, as well as the records of finance stacked on the desk. What caught my attention was the letters, placed with their corresponding envelopes in boxes under the window that overlooked the greenhouse. To my surprise there was a letter addressed to myself from a cousin of my mother's who was only mentioned when I was believed to be out of earshot. The letter itself was very curious, dispensing with pleasantries and delving immediately into an explanation of how to avoid detection by the Lizard people, and rather graphic directions of how to dispose of them if these methods of diversion failed. The letter was so intriguing in fact that I donned my mask once again and walked to the nanny in order to ensure that she would be incapacitated for a suitable amount of time.

2 comments: