Sunday 2 February 2014

The Right Stance (Mini Story #5) by Patrick Firth

      The man beside me at the Windsor Bus Terminal held the peculiarity of his arrival as a badge of circumstances bested. His once manicured beard was torn, greatcoat soiled and bloody. His notebook, normally devoted to drawings and annotations of the various contortions his body would assume during meditation, now had a scrawled entry about the shadowy stranger who had waylaid him halfway across the green space of the former Grace Hospital site. I had moved away from the odour he exuded, his violent appearance, when he occupied the seat next to me. Perhaps he was more disturbing to me since his station reflected my own, only fallen on a disturbing series of events. In spite of this, he turned to me and held up a page. It depicted a man, naked but without genitalia, with one arm twisted behind his back and the other held like a crane's head in front. The heels pressed together, toes pointed perpendicular to the forward facing torso.
      "This is the stance that saved me. I suggest you memorize it, young man."
      And I found I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment