Thursday 12 February 2015

Knick-Knacks and Baubles - Reflection on the fifth week of 52


Here is the description for the week 5 theme:

Two (and a half?) of the most enjoyable words in the English language, these are the ornaments that you have collected over the years – whether you intended to or not – and have taken up residence on a mantelpiece, or on a window frame perhaps. They speak to that miniature, decorative world that inhabits our houses with us and speaks to our passions and our loves – or just what we are too lazy or guilt ridden to throw out. Either way, they tell a story about us and this is your opportunity to capture that all in the lens of your camera. Feel free to stay inside out of the cold for this one.

We were able to keep our cameras warm for this week’s theme. I even introduced fire into my shot (a tea light to add a feeling of warmth to my fairy door). We were all treated to the valued possessions of our fellow Windsor – Essex challengers; the objects in our lives that help tell our stories. And in spite of my facetiousness, none of these things appeared to have any guilt or embarrassment attached to them. Everyone shared the things that make home home for us: the things that speak of our travels to Belgrade, Serbia; the things that hang out on our desks all day; the beginnings of our sculpture collection; and even the Bard (Mr. Shakespeare) made an appearance, perched atop a collection of his writing. 
Julius Caesar by Lupita Amaya (One of my first and favorite pieces of a Sculpture Collection that I started 22 years ago. This particular piece, has been photographed & sketched many times by me,.... because I love it so much !)
Kalamegdan by Zee1977 (My wife and I grabbed this beautiful Souvenir while visiting Belgrade, Serbia approximately 2-3 years ago. The figure represent a traditional costume from Region of Sumadija [I believe; someone could correct me here if I am wrong])
 
But not only were we treated to the things that people value, we also got to see some wonderful compositions. I especially want to acknowledge the Amazon.co.jp “Danbo,” and the porcelain orchid for the wonderful setup and professional looking shots.
Danbo - who is always on Christian Kuong's desk
 Porcelain Orchid which is Frank Shepley's wife's favourite knick knack

After catching part of my wooden star with a sunset background for the theme cover, I almost forgot that I still had to take a shot this week. If you look at the details of my shot you will see that I took it at about 10:00 on Sunday evening. I knew I wanted to incorporate the fairy world that inhabits our house, much to the delight of my young children. I was hoping for light from our antique windows to add to the magic of my objects, but I never seemed to have my camera at the right time. Instead, I had the experience of a night shot with an added light source. Maybe not a professional looking shot, but I was satisfied with the result.
Open Fairy Door by Candlelight by Patrick Firth
I am happy to see some stories attached to the pictures this week. I am including them with the pictures that are featured in this post, but also feel free to go to the Flickr site and see the rest. I am going to include this invitation in most of these posts I expect. Share the stories of your photos if you wish. They add a whole new layer to the light and texture of your shot, and they will be featured in the blog post if you are willing.
The Bard by Timothy Fenn (We attach so much to the smallest things. The trinkets, the baubles. My mother inherited this statue of "The Bard" from her Aunt years ago. She used it for a door stop :) It was later passed on to me. Mom used to say that my grandmother often quoted Shakespeare.  My son discovered him in high school this year. I'm looking forward to taking him to see Hamlet in Stratford this summer.)

Embrace the blues in week six of #52weeksofWE, and don’t forget to stop by Facebook and Twitter for other Windsor – Essex / photography / arts related content.

No comments:

Post a Comment